TRICHOTILLOMANIA / HAIR PULLING
Virginia Beach Hypnosis… Hypnotherapy can help you stop pulling your hair, eye brows and eye lashes!
Do you have patchy bald spots on your scalp?
Do you go to great lengths to disguise your condition?
Do you have to draw eyebrows or wear a hat all the time?
Is this embarrassing habit getting in the way of your happiness?
Do you have an irresistible urge to pull out hair, eyebrows, or eyelashes?
Trichotillomania is hair loss from repeated urges to pull or twist the hair until it breaks off. Its causes are not clearly understood. It may affect as much as 4% of the population. Women are 4 times more likely to be affected than men. Symptoms usually begin before age 17. The hair may come out in round patches or across the scalp. The person may pluck the eyebrows, eyelashes, or body hair.
These symptoms are usually seen in children
- An uneven appearance to the hair
- Bare patches or all around (diffuse) loss of hair
- Bowel blockage (obstruction) if people eat the hair they pull out
- Constant tugging, pulling, or twisting of hair
- Denying the hair pulling
- Hair re-growth that feels like stubble in the bare spots
- Increasing sense of tension before the hair pulling
- Other self-injury behaviors
- Sense of relief, pleasure, or gratification after the hair pulling
- Most people with this disorder also have problems with feeling sad or depressed, anxiety and poor self image.
Experts don’t agree on the use of medication for treatment. Behavioral therapy and habit reversal may be effective. Hypnotherapy can end trichotillomania and help you live a happier life!
Interested in learning more about Hypnotherapy? Check out the International Medical and Dental Hypnotherapy Association.